Thursday, June 3, 2010

Our Paradise - Kashmir

Kashmir, a name I had never noticed, until I met him. He is from a noble family in Kashmir and he is the one who has been being in my heart. Trying my hand to know more about him, I asked him about his homeland. And there is what he has told me:


Kashmir is a really beautiful and haunting place in the world. When you are in the midst of the nature of Kashmir, troubles and sadness are left behind. It is on the northern of India where adjoins the Himalayan Mountains. It consists of three regions: Jammu, Kashmir valley and Ladakh. My home is in a city of Kashmir valley where is called Srinagar, it is the summer capital while Jammu is the winter capital.

Kashmir weather is quite different from India. There is always cool and cold. Even in summer, you should expect to wear a sweater when you go outside. Kashmir keeps showing her breathtaking beauty whenever in the four seasons. In spring, the whole Kashmir is blanked in green grass. Flowers blossom everywhere. Yellow, pink, white, red….It is a perfume-ridden garden. At summer, the climate becomes cosy. It is the best time to pole a punt in Dal Lake. The water is as clear as a glass. Hillocks, banks and the sky…all are reflected in the water. You can also see the houseboats on the lake. They are like hotels for travelers to live. Houseboat is the unique attraction of the Dal Lake. In autumn, Kashmir gets covered in the hues of first gold, then russet and then red while in winter, the climate becomes inclement. Snow covers every corner of Kashmir. (If I were there, I couldn`t stop to shiver! ) In this time, Kashmir is just like a kingdom of snow in fairy tale.

People with different languages and regions gather in Kashmir. They mostly believe in Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. I know most of the people in Srinagar are Muslims, just like what my family and I are. And there are four main languages used by indigenous people. They are Kashmiri, Hindi, Urdu, and English. Kashmiri lead a simple live in their hometown. Despite of striving for living every day, they have devotion of serenity and their region. Grins always appear on their faces. Most of them are farmers and sheepmen. It is easy for you to see orchards and sheep flocking there. Kashmir is famed for its Cashmere wool, organic fruit and vegetable. Those products are exported to all over the world. They support the Kashmir`s economy. Moreover, Kashmir fancywork is also well-known. There are beautiful scarves, carpets and cushions with traditional Kashmir patterns. All our lifeblood is in Kashmir. Wherever I am, this is my home.


What a pity to be unused to travelling in Kashmir! If I were there, I would look around in astonishment for its magnificent beauty. It is not easy to find somewhere pure, peaceful and natural like Kashmir. I have an urge to visit there to experience the life that he had. For me, Kashmir is not only a paradise on the earth but also a paradise of love, a place where we will stay together…

2 comments:

  1. I really like this. I'm an "Indian lover" and what this just did is make me fall deeper in love with her. Your blog is simple and nice already, welcome to the beautiful world of blogging! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a name I had never noticed, until I met him

    if this is a place, you sure made it human
    nice piece

    ReplyDelete